Saturday, April 17, 2010

Awkward Turtle Week

Well, I told you things wouldn't be boring. In the past week I've gone to a rockin' concert (I somehow imagine Lyndsay saying rockin concert, so I'm writing it how I'm hearing her saying it), the entire Polish government died, my friend was robbed while we were walking, a volcano exploded and all of my friends in Europe are stuck without flights to Paris, I went to basically an international party with people from every corner of the world and learned some French and German, imagined myself in a scene from Passport to Paris while I talked to 4 Frenchmen who sounded EXACTLY like the actor with the accent that I originally thought was fake ("when the rain comes, I am sad"), and I got homesick. Now I will go into detail on several of those occurrences.

The Polish government and Iceland's volcano you probably already know about. My only comment on both of those incidences is this: Sorry guys, that sucks. As far as Córdoba events, I'll start in chronological order and tell you about the rockin' show. We went to a club to see a band called Onda Vaga, which means lazy vibe, who are from BA and are REALLY popular here. The club was packed, but we got relatively close up to the stage and had at least 2 inches of dancing space each, which in Argentine terms is great. The band has like 8 members and has a super cool vibe, but what really made it a good show was that you could just tell how much fun they were all having up there. It set the tone for the whole show, and made it pretty easy to dig their music. Here's their myspace page if you'd like to listen to them:
http://www.myspace.com/ondavaga

So that was great. Moving on the to robbery. We were walking last Saturday night to a party that Olivia's host siblings were at, and we really shouldn't have been walking a.) because it was 3 am and b.) because we were in a sketch part of town. However, being Americans and not Argentines, our mindset was more along the lines of "it's only 6 blocks!" whereas it should have been "it's a whole 6 blocks in a sketchy neighborhood and we're obviously foreign." So, as we were walking some dude came up from behind us and just ripped my friend's bag off her shoulder (literally ripped off the strap) and ran away. He was FAST too. Like I kind of feel like boyfriend would make more money if he put his efforts into becoming the next Prefontaine (funnily enough, the movie Prefontaine was playing dubbed over on tv the other day. Jared Leto is just not as cute when he's not shooting up drugs and getting his arm amputated. Name that movie. The arm amputation is a dead giveaway.). Anyway, so the man ran away with my friend's cash, camera, phone, and credit card, but everyone was unhurt so we have that to be thankful for. Mostly it was just a good lesson, because while we're all super comfortable here, we need to remind ourselves that we're in Argentina and a lot of people have no money and will thus take yours if given the opportunity.

On to the international party and Passport to Paris. We went to a friend's appartment where she and her roommates were having a "fancy party." Everyone spiffed up and payed a ridiculously small amount of money for a ridiculously large quantity of alcohol, and as we mingled we realized that not only were there Americans and Cordobeses, there were also English, French, German, and maybe Spanish and Brazilian people there too. This made the night infinitely more fun, because like 80 different languages were being thrown around at one time in a room where you already couldn't hear because of the music. I found myself out on the balcony chilling with a group of French guys, and I kid you not when I tell you that I am now impressed with the kid in Passport to Paris. I totally thought his accent was super corny and fake, and it probably was fake, but that's actually how French people sound when they speak English! Low and behold. It also turns out that the French are very gentlemanly, and I had like 8 layers of coats around my shoulders when I got a little cold. I also made friends with a couple Cordobeses, which I'm very happy about because I've been lacking in the Cordobes contact for a while (friend wise anyway).

I've also been homesick this past week, probably just because things were weird with the robbery and stuff. I'm getting over it, but I think it's definitely normal to feel this way when you can't just pick up the phone and tell someone you miss them. So on that note, I'd love to skype with as many of you as possible this week. Let me know what works for you.

Basically this is an entirely random blog, but it's been a random couple of weeks. Next weekend is Mendoza with white water rafting and wine tours, so stay tuned for something a little more interesting to read (and possibly some pictures). I'll be spending my week preparing for and taking my midterm exams, and probably watching a little classic MK and Ashley as well. Let's hope they have "Winning London" on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment